Here are some tips I've found from my own experience that will hopefully get you started!
1. Wear the right attire. This is probably the most important thing! This is one of the times that I will dish out the extra money and make sure I buy quality gear. It's worth it, trust me! Here's my go to gear:
- One rule of thumb is to dress 15 to 20 degrees warmer than it is outside.
- Dress in layers! That way if you get warm, you have the option to take something off. I always wear my fitted Under Armour (2) as a first layer and then I'll put on a heavier layer (8) to help as a wind and/or water repellent.
- My tights are my best friend while running! I have the Muzino tights that actually trap in and hold the heat. I can't say enough great things about this brand!
- Make sure you have quality shoes!
- My go-to brands are Muzino, Nike, Under Armour! I usually go to the outlet malls to save money.
3. Have the right music. Music makes everything better.
4. Stretch! Take more time to warm up to let your body adjust to temperature.
5. Stay safe. It's probably obvious but don't do anything stupid. I don't run outside when there is ice or if it's freezing. No need to risk getting an injury.
6. Get used to the cold gradually. I was lucky because when I started running it was in the 60's. I body adapted to running outside gradually with the weather changes. I would not suggest going out for a run if it's below 30 for the first time. I would run inside until you have a day where it's a bit warmer to help your body and breathing adjust.
7. Hydrate. An obvious but important reminder!
Today I'm linking up with Synfully Delicious, Covered In Grace, Going with the Flow, Fit Friday, Honor, Courage, and Commitment and Lovercase Letters
I'd love to hear what suggestions you have to add to my list?!